Exploring Banqiao Nanya Night Market (板橋南雅夜市) - I can show you the world

Monday, January 27, 2020

Exploring Banqiao Nanya Night Market (板橋南雅夜市)

Nanya Night Market was the first night market I visited in Taiwan. This night market is tucked away in Banqiao - away from metropolitic Taipei - and has served the locals in Banqiao well. I went there on a slightly drizzling, cold weekday night. a steadfastly to-go place for comforting traditional street food and night-time gaiety. Other plus points include: 8 mins' walk away from Fuzhong MRT, less crowd (hence more walking space and less waiting time), less expensive food, claw machines and game booths for families with young children.

Address: No. 87, 220 New Taipei City, Banqiao District, Nanya East Road, Taiwan
220新北市板橋區南雅東路87號
Opening hours: 5pm - 2am

Here's what I bought:

1. Stinky Tofu
First item on my plate for my first Taiwanese night market is none other than the iconic stinky tofu! Alas, the stinky tofu I had was rather underwhelming - it had none of the "stinkiness" I'd expected, and tasted just like a piece of fried tofu to me with added vinegar.

Vegetarian stinky tofu with pickled cabbage
Take note that not all stinky tofu are vegetarian. To achieve the (acquired) fermented taste, tofu is usually soaked in shrimp brine or milk first.

2. Ice-cream Crepe
Matcha ice-cream crepe, topped with a big dollop of whipped cream (hiding at the back), cherry and wafer // about 50 NTD
You should know by now that I have a big appetite. Dessert-for-one is a common phenomenon when I was in Taiwan. So yes, I ate it all (minus the whipped cream). I didn't expect the food vendor to put two heaping scoops of ice-cream in my crepe... but then again, this is Taiwan! People are generous and give customers what they deserve. :))

3.Taiwanese Roll

4. Changhsing Sweetened Bean Paste Cake (长兴饼店)
Image result for Changhsing Sweetened Bean Paste Cake
Source


I believe I bought 白豆沙饼。Soft and mushy inside - not oily at all! Some of their pastries are suitable for lacto-vegetarians. They're also famous for pineapple tarts (use of animal fats), which I reviewed here.
*Note: Not in night market, but is walkable from there.

Address: No. 58, Nanmen Street, Banqiao District, New Taipei City
新北市板橋區南門街58號
Opening hours: Tues - Sun 9am - 10pm. Mon 10am - 6pm.
Map

4. Frog Eggs Drink (青蛙下蛋 Qing Wa Xia Dan)
No frog or egg (or other animal products) are involved in the making of this drink, despite its name. The drink gets its name from when the tapioca pearls are cooled, they turn white, resembling frog egg. Made with only sugar water and tapioca pearl - no frills no thrill. I didn't take a photo but it looks something like this:
Related image
Source


Special shout-out to my host family who brought me to this night market! I had such a blast with them and gahhh writing this post makes me miss them even more. *sobs*

No comments:

@way2themes