Banqiao Produce Market 友善農產 板橋國慶展銷點 | MUST-GO in BANQIAO! - I can show you the world

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Banqiao Produce Market 友善農產 板橋國慶展銷點 | MUST-GO in BANQIAO!

Taipei may be the destination that most tourists flock to, but Banqiao deserves a special shout-out because it is so under-rated! Aside from Nanya Night Market, expect a taste of local flavours at Nanya Produce Market! I could taste my pure delight when I discovered the place (giving myself a pat on the back because self-love is important). In that moment, I yearned to share my discovery with someone. I guess sharing it here, albeit belatedly, with the world through this post is the next best thing to do. Banqiao Produce Market is the place nobody speaks of on TripAdvisor, and a google search would yield less-than-promising results. In fact, I may be the only tourist there, when I went. 😎 So where's that? you may ask. Give me the location! you may demand. Allow me to tell you a little backstory of how I discovered this place on foot - not maps!

My initial plan was to visit this place, which I found on Google Maps:

Da Li Red Bean Wheel Cake 大力紅豆餅(重慶國中巷內)

That day, I was on a hunt for Banqiao some wheel pancake as a cheap, simple dessert. And can I just say how fantastic the Taiwanese does their wheel pancake? SO MUCH MORE impressive than Mr Bean or Jolliebean. This place was a 20 minutes urban hike from Banqiao station to this place. Sadly, I went during Dragon Boat Festival Eve so they were closed for break. But I highly, HIGHLY recommend you go there! Granted, I didn't try it for myself, but I know for a fact that it is highly raved by the locals. See reviews here or here (in Trad. Chinese).

Prices range from 18 - 20 NTD - more expensive than the 10 NTD red bean pancake I got at Tamsui Old Street, but they offer more variety.

Address: No. 8, Alley 4, Lane 149, Guoqing Road, Banqiao District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 220
8號 國慶路149巷4弄板橋區新北市220
Opening hours: 2.30pm - 7pm daily
Google Maps

Since I wasn't able to satisfy my pancake cravings, I made do with buying one from a stall nearby.

7 NTD or 10 NTD, depending on your chosen filling
Perfection on the outside

Is this a pancake excavation site or-

Pancake with a big empty hole.. yup, you get what you pay for. The filling is not the creamy peanut paste, but something akin to the store-bought chopped peanut and sugar mix. On the whole, this is not bad.. the crust is crispy and there's a nice balance of sweet and savoury. It's just not what I'd expect from a wheel pancake.

So what's next?

Having walked to the closed Da Li wheel cake, I then saw this street of food vendors!

Welcome to Banqiao Produce Market, 友善農產 板橋國慶展銷點! (Not the actual English name, but I can't give you one when it's an unlisted place on Google Maps.)


Now, let me walk you through what you can find here. 😀😀

1. Rice Dumplings (粽子)
Because I came on the eve of Dragon Boat Festival, there were dumplings at every turn of the road, including vegetarian dumplings!

dumplings everywhere.
2. Fried Wanton and Ngoh Hiang (五香)
Store selling fried wanton and ngoh hiang

3. Fresh fruits


4. Popiah (阿霞潤餅)



Fillings include: piping hot boiled cabbage scooped out from a pot, pickled mustard greens, char siew (vendor will omit if vegetarian), crispy fried shallots, cilantro, crushed peanut. With nimble hands and an agility that can only come from years of hands-on experience, the couple worked quickly and without rest to deliver the customers' orders. The line moved quickly, but expect some customers to order as much as 10 popiahs at one go. I waited in the line for 5 minutes, feeling like an outcast when I requested popiah-for-one, while other customers were ordering 2 or more.

Vegetarian option available! Just ask to exclude meat.

Address: No. 24, Lane 86, Ren'ai Road, Banqiao District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 220
220新北市板橋區仁愛路86巷24號
Opening hours: (not found)
Google Maps

5. Shaved ice
Shaved ice is everywhere in Taiwan, but ever tried it in a cup? Sharing is not recommended for this thirst-quencher-dessert treat.

1 for 30 NTD, 2 for 50 NTD
Flavours include: sour plum, yam, pineapple, passionfruit, mango, banana, green bean, red bean + peanut combi, red bean, peanut


I got peanut, also one of the more popular options. Tastes like peanut slush!

6. Cake bread

1 for 120 NTD

Looks like a block of ice-cream. The outside looks crispy, like a pie crust. But it's not. That'd have been weird on a bread--or amazing. I guess I'd never find out. It tastes just like normal bread with a hint of chocolatey flavour. I bought it for novelty's sake, but I wouldn't buy it again if I ever pass by.

7. Egg Crepe
Egg crepe @ 40 NTD

8. Assorted Dishes
Enormous spread of side dishes to go with your rice.
9. Mantou
Steamed Chinese buns (aka Mantou 馒头 - no fillings) for sale. This is a typical Chinese breakfast item.

10. Vegetarian grocery store
In case you wanna do some grocery shopping overseas.

11. Vegetarian Restaurant
Vegetarian restaurant
I didn't go in to eat, but it seems to operate under the standard choose-what-you-want and pay-by-weight system. Price starts from 60 NTD.

🌳🌳🌳

And that's it! Banqiao local produce market might just be Banqiao's best kept secret. As mentioned, I don't have the exact location to this produce market, but google map your way to any of the locations listed above and you'd find yourself surrounded by food vendors in no time.

How to get to Banqiao from Taipei?
  • HSR - One station away. The most expensive option, recommended only if you have unlimited HSR ride. Tickets can be purchased on KKday or Klook.
  • MRT - Take blue Bannan Line from Taipei Main station to Banqiao station (12 mins - 5 stops).
  • TRA - Take train from Taipei station to Banqiao station (8 mins non-stop journey).

No comments:

@way2themes