In search of the best pineapple tart in Taiwan - I can show you the world

Thursday, August 8, 2019

In search of the best pineapple tart in Taiwan

Before I went Taiwan, my sis told me to bring back Suncake / Tai Yang Bing(太阳饼)and Pineapple Tart(凤梨酥)because apparently, that's a quintessential tourist activity I have got to follow through. I just didn't know how overwhelmed with choices I would be. Taiwan is able to boast about its status as the champion pineapple tarts manufacturer from the sheer number of local bakery scattered around the country. While I was there on a volunteering trip, I also made it a personal mission to visit as many pastry shops in Taiwan (mostly in Taipei). I've got no shame admitting that this mission was partly motivated by the free food samples calling to my soul... Anyway, more importantly, I reckoned I was doing a great service to the community by finding the best-tasting pineapple tart, then doing an epic showdown based loosely on my memory and taste buds. See, doing food reviews is to envision yourself as a scientist. The bakery is my lab and the taste tests are a wonderful part of my research process.

Alas, most bakeries do not offer Tai Yang Bing for sampling, so the food-of-the-day in this post is pineapple tart (plus bonus food items). Below are the research results after hours of travelling and standing in a bakery pretending to contemplate if I should buy or not as the sales assistants smiled hopefully at me.

1. Taipei Leechi (台北犁記)
First stop - Taipei Leechi!


Samples displayed neatly. Very impressed that they provide toothpicks and tissue for hygiene purposes.
Taro red bean cake


Red bean filling in the middle.

Vegetarian mushroom pastry. I know the lighting here is bad

So here's a better pic.

Ingredients and nutritional facts for those who can read Traditional Chinese. (That's me - well, I read well enough.)
Ingredients: Flour, green bean, mushroom, tofu skin, sesame, sugar, peanut
1 serving 100g; 387.1 kcal.

It was meh. Save yourself the money and get the pineapple tart instead.

Address: No. 67, Section 2, Chang'an East Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, Taiwan 104
104台北市中山區長安東路二段67號
Opening hours: Daily 9am - 9pm
Map

2. Cherry Grandfather (櫻桃爺爺)


MUST BUY NOUGAT!! Not sickly sweet, and carries the undertone of the respective specially-created flavours.

Flavours include: cheese, matcha, honey black tea, cranberry. I enjoyed the sweet-savoury combo and the slight milky taste of the cheese nougat. And the matcha flavour was prominent. I didn't get to try the other two flavours (because they don't appeal to me and I didn't want to appear too greedy and grab the samples) but I imagine they will not disappoint.

At 220 NTD, they are slightly pricey. But you're not just paying for the pretty packaging. The inside is what matters.

I left the store with a box of matcha nougat and the staff packed in a few nougats in original and durian (!!!) flavours.
Red bean mochi pastry. Worth buying as well.

Different flavours of pineapple tarts: Pineapple with Taiwan Starfruit, Longan Walnut, Mango, Native Pineapple (more tart, as in sour), Pineapple cake
Price: 115 NTD for small box

Pineapple tarts to sample.
I came to Cherry Grandfather after Leechi Taipei because the stores were side-by-side. So I remember thinking that the pineapple tarts here taste better than their rival store. And that's when I learnt my lesson that long history and big storefront do not necessarily promise better goods than an emerging bakery. But don't take my word for it. Try it for yourself and decide.

Address: No. 69, Section 2, Chang'an East Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, Taiwan 10491
10491台北市中山區長安東路二段69號
Opening hours: Daily 9am - 9pm
Map

3. Changhsing Sweetened Bean Paste Cake (长兴饼店)
Changhsing's wide selection of pastry is best for immediate consumption instead of gifting, as their goods generally have a shorter shelf life. This includes their pineapple tart, to be consumed within 10 days.



Bean cakes, which they are more famous for.

1 for 30 NTD - same price as Chia Te's
1 box of 12 for 360 NTD
The pineapple tart comes prettily-packaged like a mini gift box. Unlike most of the stores I've tried from, the inside is not fibrous-y, but has more of a smoother consistency.




Ingredients: Flour, pineapple jam, maltose, sugar, butter

I prefer a more pulpy filling, but still gobbled this pineapple tart down without looking like a starved woman (I hope).

Address: No. 58, Nanmen Street, Banqiao District, New Taipei City
新北市板橋區南門街58號
Opening hours: Tues - Sun 9am - 10pm. Mon 10am - 6pm.
Map

4. Taiwan Shu Shin (手信坊)
Store front

Rice mochi - 350 NTD for 10 pcs
Flavours available: peanut, sesame, red bean, yam, coconut
Lacto-vegetarian, freezer-friendly for 2 months
50g / pc: 117 - 184 kcal

Chocolate Almond Gift Bar - 360 NTD
Flavours available: Dark and white chocolate
Lacto-ovo vegetarian, storage up to 6 monhts at room temperature
16g / pc: 85 kcal

No photo but here's my verdict of the pineapple tart: The indigenous pineapple tart (土凤梨酥) packs a stronger zesty kick than the original. Prices are at 360 NTD / 10 pcs for the original flavour, 380 / 10 pcs for indigenous pineapple tart.

The chocolate almond bar (dark and white chocolate available) also comes highly recommended. Anything chocolate + nut is simply a heavenly combo.

Address: No. 22, Section 2, Wuchang St, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
108台北市萬華區武昌街二段22號
Opening hours: 
Mon & Wed - Sat 9am - 10pm.
Tues 9am - 11pm.
Sun 11am - 10pm.
Map
Also located in Ximending, the signature item is red bean Q pork pie - a 4-in-1 pastry that creates a flavour bomb in your mouth. You have the light sweetness from the pork floss, chewy mochi, moreish red beans, and fragrant toasted sesame seeds coating the surface of the pastry. First baked, than toasted for that extra crispy exterior, every bite is an experience you won't forget.

Another hot-selling item is the butter crispy cake. The key ingredients are maltose and butter that is free of coloring and preservatives. Both are not greasy at all, so they won't leave you feeling like you've gained 2 kg after eating.

As a comparison, the pineapple tarts from Taiwan Shu Shin and Red Sakura tasted similar, but the latter is just a tad bit more tart.



Red Bean Q Pork Pie

Red Bean Q Pork Pie
490 NTD for 10 pcs

Butter Crispy Cake

Butter Crispy Cake
280 NTD for 8 pcs // 350 NTD for 10 pcs

6. Shi Jia Foodstuffs (世家名点坊)
Like the other stores at Ximending, this store has its pineapple tart samples placed front and centre teasingly, impossible to walk away from without snatching a piece to try. The outer skin was crispy, like a pie crust. Amazed, I was. Tempted to buy, I was too. But I wasn't done with my exploration. Then and there, I could only shamelessly reach for a second helping, for how else could I remember the taste of the buttery crust?


Glorious pineapple tarts 😍😋

Shi Jia Foodstuffs carries a wide selection of Taiwanese snacks as well, such as crisps, square biscuits (not the TK brand) and offer samples for selected few. 



Three Stars Onion Crisp 三星葱酥
200 NTD
This was extremely fragrant. Kicking myself in the butt now for forgetting to buy.

Address: No. 5, Section 2, Wuchang St, Wanhua District, Taipei City, Taiwan 108
108台北市萬華區武昌街二段5號
Opening hours: Daily 12pm - 11pm
Map

7. Fu Ji Bakery (福記餅店(滿福堂)


Pineapple tart 凤梨酥: 280 NTD for 8 pcs

Can't remb what this is

Vegetarian Tai Yang Bing: 45 NTD / pc

Milk Tai Yan Bing (suitaable for lacto-vegetarian): 40 NTD / pc 

Native Pineapple tart (more tart; less sweet) 土凤梨酥



Good filling to crust ratio; not too oily
While I was there, one of the staff also told me that they'd recently come up with a new product - cheese pineapple tart! I got a sample so I can verify that it was EXCELLENT. I didn't buy only because it was out of my budget.

Address: No. 3, Section 2, Zhongxiao East Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, Taiwan 100
10491台北市中山區長安東路二段69號
Opening hours: Daily 9am - 9pm
Map

8. Le Cake (李儀餅店)

Cheapest price. Very good. The crust was deliciously crumbly, amazingly buttery, and visibly thicker than other brand's. Some people might write that off as a bad pineapple tart, but not me. A good crust is as important as a tangy middle. Recommended to buy if you're not picky, since it's conveniently located in the heart of Taiwan, and comes with a nice price tag. Only downside is that they don't have the native pineapple tart (the less sweet option).
500 NTD for 20 pcs

9. Chia Te Bakery (佳德糕餅)
Image result for chia te bakery
Source
This bakery is all the talk on the Internet. Like the non-conformist that I am, I deliberately chose not to visit the store while I was in Taiwan. But luckily for me, I received one from a Taiwanese friend.

I don't want to judge too harshly when the food is good, but the packaging is quite awful. Anyone feel me?

*clang* That's the sound of the golden brick drop.

Innards.

Address: No. 88, Section 5, Nanjing East Road, Songshan District, Taipei City, Taiwan 105
105台北市松山區南京東路五段88號
Opening hours: Daily 8am - 9.30pm
Map

10. Ruyi Sunny Cake (如邑堂餅家)
Once we entered, we were immediately greeted by the staff who then immediately sat us down for samples. The entire atmosphere was totally emblematic of a British tea setting. Coffee or tea? the staff probed, then proceeded to bring out their best-selling items. The best part? Everything on the list is free for you to sample. And I mean EVERYTHING. Are you impressed yet? You can really get full from all the tasting work you're doing. While you're certainly under no obligation to buy, there's no reason for you not to. The award-winning Tai Yan Bing was indeed the best I've tasted so far. I brought a box of sesame and coconut one. The sesame is sweeter than the original one, but bears the nuttiness from the sesame seeds that I liked. If you prefer a less sweet version like me, consider the coconut one. The coconut taste is not so overpowering that it masks the maltose filling. In fact, the main cocnut taste comes from the coconut shavings on the crust, creating an overall better mouthfeel.
I have nothing much to say about the pineapple tart only that it was good, like everything else - the Tai Yang Bing outshines the golden brick in this particular store. Eating here, I could sense that the staff were very proud of their products, and they have every reason to be.
Banners announcing award-winning Tai Yang Bing
1. Champion Suncake (with pork fat) 2. Cheese Suncake (lacto-vegetarian) 3. Honey Suncake (lacto-veg) 4. Sesame Suncake (lacto-veg) 7. Taro Cake (lacto-veg) 8. Almond Cookie (lacto-ovo-veg) 9. Lemon Cake (lacto-ovo-veg) 10. Indigenous Pineapple Cake (lacto-ovo-veg) 11. Pineapple Suncake with Winter Melon (lacto-ovo-veg) 12. Pineapple Cake with Yolk (lacto-ovo-veg) 13. Milk / Cranberry Nougat (lacto-ovo-veg) 14. Macadamia Tart (lacto-veg) 15. Golden Brick Cake (cheddar cheese, egg yolk with macadamia) (lacto-ovo-veg) 16. Yolk Cake with [Red] Bean Paste (lacto-ovo-veg) 17. Green Bean Cake with Macadamia (lacto-veg) 18. Coconut Suncake (lacto-veg) 19. Mochi with Red Bean, Yolk and Pork Floss

British Tea Time!

Featuring a variety of the best-selling items. The lemon cake was extremely light and delicate. 



Pineapple cake w/ yolk + Golden brick cake

Going nuts over this.

Sesame suncake and coconut suncake

I walked away with sesame suncake and coconut suncake in the end. I was highly tempted to get other items, but WHO HAS GOT THE LUGGAGE SPACE? WHO HAS GOT MORE THAN ONE STOMACH? Not me, I had sobbed.

Address: No. 235, Hanxiang Road, Xitun District, Taichung City, Taiwan 407
407台中市西屯區漢翔路235號
Opening hours: Daily 8am - 10pm
Map

🌞🌞🌞

Leechi Taipei won the consolation prize for being the first location marked on my non-existent pineapple tarts map. Cherry Grandfather was the first store my fellow Singaporean friend and I gave our nod of approval to. Fu Ji wow-ed me with their delicately light tarts and was the store I eventually chose to buy from because time was running out for me. Shi Jia produced the tastiest, crispiest crust that I wished could be replicated in all other pineapple tarts. Le Bakery was the best for value. Chia Te makes me want to cry with their long queue. Besides winning in the championship, Ruyi also won the best hospitality award.

So who won the title of the best pineapple tart?

This is what I know: This post showcases the first world problem of too many choices, too many decisions, and too little time to decide. Judging by the number of bakeries lining the streets of Taiwan, I don't need anyone to tell me that I've barely covered one-tenth of the list.

This is what I also know: B the end of this trip, I got so sick of eating pineapple tarts that the idea of eating it again was nauseating. 😟 (But fear not, that lasted only about 10 days for me.)

This is what I don't know: Who won the title of the best pineapple tart?

🌞🌞🌞

Good news for those who want a piece of that edible golden brick in Singapore. Bears', a Taiwanese delicacies / snacks shop Singapore, has opened its first outlet Plaza Singapura in 2019.


I don't know exactly what brands they carry, but I'm sure it won't disappoint.

No comments:

@way2themes